Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Code Blue for Spanky and the Love Handles


Everyone and everything has its own path and the blues is no different. From the first note to the last, each song is a journey and is unique to its moment in time. You may hear the same song again and again, but you can’t possibly hear it the same way twice.

Allow me to struggle with the first note and accept that I don’t know how this song ends. More importantly, it doesn’t matter.

Now I don't know much, but I do know this: if life is a song, then I prefer the offbeat version.  I took an exit one night marked Code Blue and got lost in a back alley of blues, where tradition leaves the front porch and stumbles upon a feral cat somewhere along the filthier side of New Orleans. This cat was black and white, dirty and deep.   I closed my eyes and felt every move, every thought and every note that ever was...and ever will be. 

I felt Clark Vreeland.  And this feeling definitely tagged along when I took another exit marked Spanky and the Love Handles.

What can I say?  I love quirky!  And Clark is the King of Quirk.  He is many things to many people, but he is always true to his spirit - good, bad and everything in between.  He is that feral cat.  Self-possessed and always hungry for nothing more than what is required to sustain the moment.  Not saying I'm a mind reader, but that's what I believe based on what I intuit in the music he creates. 

As for the genre of blues?  I do love some down home blues, but I refuse to keep it in a box.  There are more shades of blue than there are people trying to find themselves.

KS:  If there's anything that I know, I sure don't show it.
RL:  You should've learned what you had to know.













1 comment:

  1. Clark Vreeland, Beth Vreeland, Bob Rice - oh yeah! Love em all.

    ReplyDelete